The pink building of the Ionian academy, the first Greek Academic Institution of modern times is introducing you to Corfu,the emerald Ionian island with the cosmopolitan, multicultural charm.
As you enter the seaside road you overlook the statue of Kapodistrias, the first governor of Greece, coming from a noble family in Corfu.
Feel the sun, and the breeze of the sparkling blue Ionian Sea, admire the beautiful scenery of wild flowers,trees and extraordinary buildings with their unique architecture. While in this road,you run into the “Skala tou Dimarchou” or “Ladder of the Mayor”, an idyllic artificial pier that connects the sea with the road and is either a meeting point for local fishermen or a disembarkment point for boats,sea vessels gondolas and even celebrities who visit the island.
Moving on and as you leave the coastal route, you enter the graphical neighborhoods of the mainland. Colourful traditional houses combined with modern houses, little alleys, colourful flowers,greek nature at its best. Cherish the amazing Corfiot landscape.
Your next stop in this ride is the Vlacherna Monastery, located in the bay of Kanoni.The little white chapel is built on a small rocky island which is connected to the land through a stone footbridge. Across the chapel,you have a view of the famous tiny island of Pontikonisi ( the Mouse Island), a natural monument full of cypress trees,which has taken its name by the characteristic mouse shape when seen from the air.Just above this unique scenery you will reach the deep green hill of Kanoni,offering mesmerizing views of the island’s airway and the Pontikonisi and possibly you will experience the exciting moment of an airplane landing in front of your eyes. Afterwards and while you move towards the historical center of Corfu, you will pass by the entrance of Mon Repos Palace, next to the roman baths and the archaeological site of Paleopolis with the remains of the ancient town of Corfu. Next you will meet the “Column of Douglas», a marble obelisk in honor of the English Baron, who was a Commissioner in Corfu and founded the Ionian University, the mental hospital and the prison.
As you reach the cultural centre of the island, you look at the central square of Corfu,Spianada (Esplanade) Square the largest in the Balkans and the second largest in Europe,built-in the style of the Royal Gardens of Europe.At the top of the Spianada you see the famous Music Pavilion used for concerts by the philharmonics and other musicians, as Corfu is well known for its music history.
Opposite you will see the Maitland Monument, also known as the Maitland Rotunda or the Peristyle of Maitland.
Following on your right side you see the unique and impressive, Old Venetian Fortress of Corfu which was constructed by the Venetians in the 15th century and used to secure the old town and is connected to the city with a fixed iron bridge.As you ride around the Square you run into the world famous Liston, an impressive 19th century arched colonnade, whose main feature is the pedestrian area, the most cosmopolitan spot of the island with stunning views of the Old Fortress and a variety of cafes,bars and restaurants, and will lead you back to the Ionian Academy.
Travel in a risk-free open air layout vehicle that offers constantly 360° views of the island’s unique landscape and soak up the fresh Ionian air while your driver guide will share tips and information about Corfu’s history.
#Enjoy the ride with Comfort, Luxury and Style
- Professional English speaking private driver guide
- This is a private tour. Only your group will participate
- Most travelers can participate
- Baby seat available
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Gratuities not included (optional)
- Transportation by electrical Tuk Tuk Vehicle
- See through windscreens for cooler days/nights
- Minimum weight 36kg – Maximum weight 140kg
- Minimum height 130cm – Maximum height 200cm
- Meeting point : The Ionian Academy.
- For Cruise Passengers only: When you reach the port you have to meet our driver close to the port kiosk. There you will meet your driver guide who will hold a sign with your name on it.
- For Cruise Passengers only:Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at the time of booking:
- Ship name
- Docking time
- Disembarking time
- Re-boarding time
- In case you have any problem to locate the driver guide please contact us either at 00306948832493 What’s app and Viber.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this tour